Wednesday, March 10, 2004

(a story: part one, anticipation)

We entered the four seasons, or at least meant to enter the promised land. Instead, we walked inside into to two busboys and the employee (read: wrong) door. Our second attempt landed us within a supremely ornate atmosphere, lush with that old time glamorous feel. It’s the kind of place I’d expect Jennifer Lopez to traverse, while singing “I’m still Jenny from the Block.”

The lobby looked small – not as small as some places I’d been in, but also empty. It was the front area, the furnishing room – the vacuum preparation chamber. However, we were presented an elevator to get to the real hotel – on the 35th floor. Strange sense of metropolis fritz langian decadence poured over me, like i’d been transported to Berlin, a city still riding the success of the 20’s. Anyway, as we enter the elevator (assisted to the task, mind you), Eddy promptly utters “i forgot to dress up” blankly, and I realized I hadn’t forgotten, let alone thought about dressing up. I don’t think about these things, and my jean jacket and Chicago-wind proof sweater fit the bill.

(it always fits the bill, that’s why i always wear it, like a badge)

It’s here that our interview with Charlie and Michel was situated. Given my fear of heights, I nervously traversed when arriving on the 35th floor lobby. I couldn’t help but hold my breath longer than normal. Eddy talked up Dawn of the Dead with the other student journalists while we waited and I looked around to see who would hear him. But the halls were big and few waltzed by.

2:30 rolled around and we were given the cue to go upstairs for the interview. We huddled in the elevator, I entering last. I decided to not turn around and instead examine the competition and was greeted by semi-nervous faces. These people could take the heat, but still kept the uneasy anticipation of youth babies.

By the 60th floor, though, the spaces were smaller and I felt more comfortable with the hallways – a place I’d seen in many hotels. Our interview was situated in a conference room. It was an impressive place, with a couple publicists on the side.

The room had a great view of the Chicago city-line and the no cameras policy irked Eddy endlessly – I could see him sizing up the camera in his bag, determining the best odds of getting a couple skyline shots without getting kicked out of the interview. My response instead was to examine the plastic water bottles. The bottles had real metal slips to hold them. ‘What class’ I muttered.

We waited; Eddy claimed his territory next to Gondry in the front. Readying himself for a fight, he preemptively struck. Instead, the room made awkward chit-chat, agreeing to question the two in an orderly fashion. This broke some of the earlier tension – people were going to play “fair.”

In the back, publicists were talking about Scooby-Doo 2. “The first one was so great”

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home