Wednesday, March 10, 2004

311 South Wacker



The tranquility of the sky in this picture kills me - it forces me to see clouds move.


Can You Dance?



Not to cause a drift in the blog, but I do claim this picture as my own, because I remember being impressed with the one or two times I've tried to use Eddy's camera. Almost becomes an homage to TV on the Radio's Young Liars EP. But, no, this was done before... no homages here. none explicit ones at least. leave that to the pretentious bloggers...

--


Swamped with paper-writing and incredible music recently. Makes me want more time to suck in the sweet juices of everything...

Let's recap some promos/albums here (as i'd rather forget my papers/articles)...

blog-o-sphere terminology...the last two weeks of music listening has brought me these notables...

sort of feeling

Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles...despite talking loud shit about Xiu Xiu, i must retract a bit. there's some really good songs here, but i still feel kinda like deftones milked these vocal territories (i must be getting nostalgic for the post-grunge fallout bands...the good ones, at least).

Schneider TM - well, this guy has a couple good songs, but what's with everything else - the expanse of "bleh" the size of a infinitely feedbacked Alvin Lucier sound system.

Tortoise - Have I lost interest in you so quickly? There's just something irritating that so many other people really love this and I feel like I just appreciate it. Not a contest worth participating in...it's like a stupid pissing match, when both people are dehydrated - not a pretty sight, my friends.... fuck the masses. may chicago style post-rock die a death that jazz had to Kenny G. I'm not sure how this is going to happen...

Feeling

The Necks Drive-by - very very nice. just a long post-rock instrumental (ha! hypocrisy mires this blog, and god bless it). Thank you Nick Southall for bringing this sucker to my attention...

Superpitcher Here Comes Love - hmmmm...hard album to pin down. So much good minimal work here...should be embraced by all those "hip" indie kids picking up on trip-hop back 'round 99 with Portishead. you know i'm talking about you!

TV on the Radio The EP was wonderful, and I still hear "Mr. Grieves" but I can't help but keep skipping over tracks on the LP. Not enough to grab onto - doo-wop is nice, but must be done well...whatever "done well" means - the album is too dry to carry itself in the musical territories it explores, i guess. the wet, reverby sound gives the vocals more "umf" and doesn't feel so blatantly "throwback." But still, good. Very great moments and no matter where it's found "Staring at the Sun" sticks out like a tasty thumb (well, i take that back, staring at the sun, by u2 is very scary, and the video is very scary, and bono scares me, like only people aestheticizing politics - no more benefit songs, please...)

Really Feeling


Madvilliany Madlib has reaffirmed my faith in hip-hop in one stroke of aural paint. ah, everything be damned, this album makes me look back incessantly at the Stones Throw web site. If only to see the utterly inspired All Caps video. go to this web site, watch the music video and feel the sunshine in the middle of march.

Junior Boys Although many have mocked this music without realizing it (heh, that's how i like to keep my dignity...) - I'm following through. the LP has leaked to Jess, and that pisses me off. I put pictures in my blog, so I deserve an early album or two...right. let's just say, this album should have a couple taste-makers pushing for it enough to make a big enough buzz for the world to hear...(i think i can hear it coming)...please listen (for me, at least...) to this stuff. it'll make my day, and mebbe yours - think timbaland skidding beats with a croon of well, not-so-sappy Ben Gibbard. Hmm...i am not dissing the Postal Service, but merely putting an alternative out there...

Arthur Russell - Some great reissues coming out right now. Not sure whether an avant-garde celloist dabbling in dubbed-out disco sounds enticing to many - but if it does, trust me, this is your bag. World of Arthur Russell is a good primer.

Strictly Kev The History of the Mash-up, is a very beautiful concept indeed. With spoken sections from Burroughs to Zinn to Beyonce singing Crazy in Love to jazzy swing to "Ask Not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your (gun shot)" to Kelis singing "Baby I got your money" over gangsta's ball. Anyway, let's just say, if you like mash-ups, this could really burn down the house...

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home