Sunday, September 26, 2004

As it becomes harder to see the next opportunity for me to write for fun, about music or about anything i care strongly about, NOW becomes the right time to throw up a quick post on outsidebowie.

The first week of classes are done and over. Leaving me in a strange, worker-bee stupor, I wish I could see some finish to the endless days sitting in front of my two best friends and worst enemies (mmm...cliches are fun) - AVID and Final Cut Pro. I am currently in the process of formulating a thesis paper on the metaphysical ramifications of non-linear editing's use of the "in" and "out" in determining what shots are included into a movie. have you felt your life getting cut in and out recently?

And so, since words have failed me once again, I shall point the way to other territories worth exploring (or friends that can write and experience lives 10x more interesting, captivating and beautiful than mine - jealousy is a virtue, damn it)

Cinewhore (My dear friend from Singapore) - selected quote of the day - "It's strange how many of the scenes that "get" me in movies aren't necessarily the ones calculated to "get" the audience. Yes, I do go "aww" sometimes when I'm supposed to, but often, it's a throwaway shot, or line, or scene that reaches in and grabs hold of my soul (if I have one, that is)."

Forum for my Youth (My dear friend in New York) - selected quote of the day - "But everything else of the future and the past crawls around me, like an awful circus parade. (too many bozo clowns coming out of the same tiny old fashioned car, with grotesque white make up and horn honking - this is what me understanding myself is like)"

Russ Meyer RIP

"This space intentionally left blank"

I would link to Mondrian's Sketchbook, as Todd Burns (aka Stylus editor) has been keeping up a mad schedule of blogging posts/topics...but it's been taken down temporarily. However, in the new Day For Night magazine (now printed! find your copy on Northwestern campus) - my friend Oscar Boyson (of Shurpa fame) quotes Mr. Burns for an article on Jim Jarmusch and Hip Hop.

Same issue has the lost Eternal Sunshine centerfold written by the Outsidebowie Kollective. Good fun - I'll look around my computer in the hopes of finding a draft of the magazine to publish online for those not stuck in Evanston.

--

as for music-listening (as music-writing has fallen off into complete oblivion) -

Eyeing up Andy Kellman's list of 2004 faves...

I'll pitch in my picks and recent finds...

First, albums found from Kellman...

1. Moodymann - Black Mahogani - great stuff, but i'm not sure if I *love* it enough to make it a favorite of 2004. (A-)
2. Junior Boys - um...i've written enough about these guys - time for poetic understatement. (A)
3. Dizzee Rascal - meh, I can't take it anymore, Treddin' on Thin Ice doesn't sound too slight in comparison, mebbe I'm the only one. But, Stand Up is pretty sexy and different enough for me to take notice. (B+)

okay, those are Kellman's top three - I wish I had the ability to name albums off one-by-one in order, but I don't have enough time, nor money to own this many albums, so I'll cut the bullshit and go to select picks...

5. James Cotton - MIA, to be honest, but the random tracks heard so far sound promising - (TBD)

9. Panda Du Prince - This album never really struck me too much. In fact, I don't believe I could hum a melody from it. hmmm (N/A)

10. Wiley - this album is a grower, and feels just a bit underwhelming, but still holds up. one of those shoulda coulda, 7 games out of the play-off race teams that didn't live up to expectations. (B)

12. Ghostface - Good. Good. My former roommate played this and I dug it. Then we played a lot of Supreme Clientele. I'd still go for SC, but not to hold past masterpieces against good ole' Ghostface. (B+)

13. Superpitcher - please check this if you want to hear quasi-dance pop fun. A collection of singles, but friendly in all the right ways. dip in and enjoy. (A-)

15. Air - surprisingly good at first. then, i stopped playing it. hmm, not a good repeat value (to rate as a video game). (B)

17. Fennesz - I implore all of you to listen to Fennesz just once, for me. If you don't like it, I'll apologize for every wrong i've done to you. (A)

18. Beta Band - wipe a tear away. it's over (C+)

20. Claro Intelecto - probably the hardest review i've written all year. Not sure what that means about the music, but I definitely haven't had the urge to hear it again since the beginning of June. (B-)

21. Swayzak - new discovery. Very addictive. Synth-pop renaissance? "Another Way" has been repeating in my head for a week now. (A-, could rate higher/lower next week)

23. Kanye West - I couldn't sit through the whole thing. This album made me reconsider whether I still love hip-hop. maybe not. (C+, generous grade)

24. Interpol - meh. Got the opening song stuck in my head and then listened to it to realize that the song wasn't that great. (B-)

27. Robag Wruhme - Narf. Good, but unsatisfying. Might just have been "KTB" that really gave me the distaste - reminded me of Nelly Furtado and bad Morcheeba. (B)

28. John Cale - Good, but rather unmemorable for me (maybe just the turnover of MP3/ADD listening culture). (B)

29. The Streets - Well, this is a hard album to really achieve any sort of reconciliation. Good album, bad songs? Doesn't seem like it can be so simple. But, Dry Your Eyes really hurts me. OOOOiIIIii. shivers. down, get away. (B)

31. Matthew Dear - I've said MOORE than enough on this sucker. (A)

32. MIA - (not to be confused with the sexxxy girl of "Galang" - instead, dancing germans). There's something about the bass on this album and how it feels so slight compared to Smash TV for me. (B)

35. Arovane - how did I miss this release? (N/A)

37. Phoenix - good, very good. wish i would've written something about the band. It's like the parisian pop taking The Strokes slickness a step further. (A-)

38. Lali Puna - omg. Folktronica is like, soooo 2003. and i think i'm alright with that. (C+)

39. Lucien-N-Luciano - Oh so good, and in a way that is so hard to describe. "Madre Mother and Mere" kills me with that little plodding bassline. It's almost cute, but not in the slightest. And the clink percussion? ouch. (A)

47. Spektrum - still nice. not much to add to earlier t'ings - the freakbox remixes are pretty good with ricardo villalobos, richie hawtin and losoul spinning things around in good ways. (B+)

58. Losoul - From the deep-house first track on, this is nice selection. Listened through the album twice now, so i reserve judgement. (N/A)

62. Felix Da Housecat - I keep listening to this album less and less. First enthusiastic, now not sure. (B+ or C+ depending on the day)

65. Clinic - Tortoise lost me earlier this year and I think the same is happening for Clinic. So sad. I promise not to cry too hard. (C)


Woah, okay. So that's just a selection of the albums I can attest to on Andy's list. What I didn't find on there and would recommend to all those kids out there (don't all of you jump up at once)...

richardo villalobos' new album, harem....and so forth. i've spun this through twice now and don't know what to feel. it's very much running through the same style, but it appears to REALLY be going avant-territory, the percussion appears as beautiful as ever. i don't see why i won't be utterly satisfied in a couple days.

panda bear, young prayer - one of my favorite releases at the moment. from the broken lyrics (fragmentation to the fullest), to captivating arrangements, tape hiss and cascades of intensity, i'd pick this over elliot smith's swan song. but i haven't heard the basement tapes yet. we'll see how this plays out. i'd be surprised if this isn't one of my top 10 at the end of the year. time to label me an animal collective groupie.

mf doom - mm food - i think i have a premonition about this one. or maybe not. leaked and starting with some jazz-lite, take this for face value and then reconsider (miguel, your thoughts?)

felix kubin - a little dorky german, but still sweet. go into this with an open mind and you'll leave it as such.

okay, i've procrastinated for long enough. hope this list helps someone find a song or album that will make them happy. album reviews will resume this week, damn it. that's a promise, if i've ever made one (prolly not, but who's counting?)

 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to get back on track, you crazy diamond. but c'mon mon, where's the Franz Ferdinand review? Are you really not going to say ANYTHING about the "best" album of 2004? I know I won't be leavin' here with my review... hahahhahahha

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home