Tuesday, March 16, 2004

This weekend, I learned two lessons

1. That fame, and fandom extends beyond memorizing words, buying inordinate crap or trying to touch someone. Instead, when I can't talk to a human being based on the simple fact that I like what they create - I've completely lost my sanity. As Nate says about everything and anything - "Fuck Everything," could fit the bill. Instead, with music I dig, like Superpitcher's Here Comes Love, I must also dig further in - why does it please me so much, rather than just talking about aesthetics. Aesthetics sounds so close to anesthesia. Must not forget...

And so, with "Smart" on my hand and Martha cheering me on, I went cold turkey and didn't talk to the two gents - Michael Mayer and Superpitcher, despite my German-detector being in fine form. Instead, Martha and I just sat there, me gaping at how these two guys could just buy a drink from the bar and have no one notice them. But after 15 minutes of chain-smoking and Superpitcher beginning to look a touch nervous, the crowds arrived. And by the time I realized I should've talked to 'em, I didn't have much to say. I'd been so enthralled by their work, I'd forgotten to be engaged by it. A strange realization, to say the least...

Drowning my anger in beer made me slightly tipsy long before I expected. Throughout the Superpitcher set, I was flabbergasted that he pulled the crowds through with the Shuffle-tech beat. The same beat that just seems so god-awful on "Unter Null" really does move a crowd and work within the club - forget the separation between house and waltz, thank you very much. And so, after the set, I went up to the DJ booth to see Mayer kicking it (who used no vocals for the first half hour too - just killing record after record), and ended up blabbing to Superpitcher.

Using my handy-dandy german skills from my year as an exchange student, I spouted off where I'd stayed, asked about how Cologne's doing and then strung together a glorious tirade of adjectives about his new record. This was absurd, but well, after consuming a tad too much alcohol/substance, I couldn't remember much. S'pitcher was really nice, though, and seemed to understand, but of anything he said, the phrase "you dress sexy" stands out. There's just something about how I hear his music, that the guy himself telling me that makes complete sense. Complimenting in an unexpectedly funny/captivating/strange way. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

2. That I am overly critical of life - thereby forgetting major elements...This was something my good friend from home, Eric Eldon pointed out. But I didn't believe him, because somebody had to do it, and I was better than most, or at least more accustomed than most. But it's a waste of time. I've heard so many people bitch about such insignificant situations in the last couple weeks (please, if you're reading this and believe you're part of the tirade, don't feel guilty...i say this completely matter-of-fact) that i believe it's time for this cynic to become a sunny optimist. Anything that I can do, just to make people rethink the usefulness of their complaints, especially wasting the time of another person. Am I the only one who tries to approach the concept of "not trying to waste other people's time" with anything less than a 2-foot pole?

Okay, I don't put lesson no. 2 up to piss off, give hints to anyone, or anything like that - this is my change in approach to things...it's fun!

A couple more days until Louisiana. Hard not to get a tad excited at this...I must contain excitement and think of beautiful practical jokes....muhahaha!

-Nate D.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home